Saturday, May 11, 2013

Driving While Impaired

First, let me say that I do not condone driving a vehicle while impaired in any manner (alcohol, drugs, fatigue, texting, etc.), but I know that people do it, even if it is against the law. I think that there is a tendency to drive impaired on the figurative road trip as well. I know there are days that I am tired of exercising or eating healthy or passing up the scrumptious double chocolate something-or-other recipe that someone posted on Facebook. There are days–mostly on Saturdays in the Autumn, “Go Dawgs”– when I just wanna sit on my couch and drink beer. And you know what, why not? I’m not driving anywhere. The thing is, just like on the real life road, if you are going to imbibe, then don’t get in the car! If you need to sleep, don’t drive; if you need to text, don’t drive; if you need to drink, don’t drive. If you want to take a break from your rigorous routine, then do it, but just get back on the road after your break is over. All too often, people decide to take a quick break from working out or eating healthy and then they never go back. That’s when things go awry. If I thought of this journey as having been on a diet all this time, chances are, I would have given up a long time ago. I had to make the connection, in my head, that this is a life style now. And if I want to have something that may not be “healthy”, then I have to make sacrifices along the way: more exercise or fruits and veggies as a meal so that I consume food but not points, where there’s a will, I’ll find a way!

So, just because you want to have fun, doesn’t mean your progress is permanently halted, it just means that you have either pulled off to the side of the road to take a nap or you are letting your DD drive for a while.  The key is to make sure and eventually take back control.  I feel like in every post I say how important it is to “get back on the road” and I don’t want to be repetitive, but, I have to keep telling myself that it’s not the destination that is important, it’s the journey. If I keep repeating this mantra, I know I’ll believe it one day!

No comments:

Post a Comment