Friday, September 13, 2013

Don't Text and Drive

We've all heard the PSAs and the news stories about the devastating statistics surrounding texting and driving. The reason why you shouldn't text while driving is simple: it’s distracting. If you are fumbling with your phone (texting or dialing or Tweeting or Facebooking) you are not paying attention to what you are doing. If you’re not careful, disaster could strike because of not focusing on the task at hand. I have found out that there are plenty of distractions that pop up on my personal road trip, as well.
 
Everyday, I am faced with distractions that jump out in front of me like a ball that was errantly thrown into the street. I know that I must keep my eyes on the road so that I can be prepared to maneuver around these obstacles that come out of nowhere. I like to control my environment so as to keep such distractions to a minimum, but life will— more often than not— get in the way, so I have to be ready. Now, that’s not to say that I walk around like a ninja ready to pounce on unsuspecting prey, but I do stay focused by asking myself this one question: “Is it worth it?” Most of the time, I know that the answer is no; however, there are times where the answer has been a resounding “yes!!” (Hmmm, could that be considered “texting at a red light”? Probably) But, as I have said so many times here, this journey that we are on, is supposed to be enjoyable. I understand that living life like a mouse trap always waiting to spring, but never knowing if or when you will break, doesn't sound like a lot of fun. It's certainly not the way I would want to live, so I have learned to manage my distractions.
 
Now, I know me, and if I were to go to a broccoli factory and they said “you can eat until your satisfied”, I’m pretty sure I'd just turn around and walk away. Now, an all-you-can-eat chocolate/coconut/macaroon facility? Now we’re talking! But here’s the thing, if I stay focused on my destination, I don't let anything distract me from reaching that destination and I walk in there with all the self-control I can muster, I know that I will be able to keep my vehicle under control and allow myself the opportunity to splurge. The bonus is that since nothing is off limits with the WW plan, it's not really cheating!
 

Wait, what was my point? Once I started thinking about a macaroon factory, I got distracted from what I was trying to say. Ironically, I believe I just made my point. Don't let silly little things derail what you have worked so hard to accomplish. You are on this journey for a reason and have an important goal that you are trying to reach, so don't take your eyes off the road, not even for a second, because it could be disastrous for your road trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment