Sunday, June 16, 2013

Are We There, Yet?

Ahh, the age old question, especially if you have little ones along for the ride! But it’s not just the kids who are anxiously awaiting the end of the road trip. I, too, am excited about the prospect of finally being able to get out of the car and stretch my legs.  But sometimes I have to question if I really need to keep going. I mean, I’m almost there, so why can’t I just be happy with almost making it? In the grand scheme of things, isn’t Woodstock the same as Canton? Well, no, it’s not. They may be in the same county, and I may be happy staying in Woodstock, but the very reason for driving to Georgia is to go to Canton so that I can hang out with my BFF. 

I am facing a similar dilemma in my weight loss journey. To date, I have lost 132.4 lbs, and only have 23.3 lbs to go until I hit my goal. I am fighting the urge to be satisfied with my current accomplishment.  But then I think, hmmm, I haven’t come this far to be merely satisfied, I have come this far to reach a goal. And while I can’t take anything away from what I have already achieved, I also can’t sit back and rest on my laurels and expect to not have some pangs of guilt or the feeling of unfinished business hanging in the air like a dense fog. So, I must resist the urge to stay where I am and get back on the road and make it to that goal that is off in the not too distant future.   

Something else that I have to realize is that while the drive from Woodstock to Canton may seem like a hop, skip and a jump, it is going to take me awhile to complete it. In fact, I’m pretty sure it feels like I actually abandoned the car and am now travelling by foot the rest of the way. Things have definitely slowed down, but they haven’t stopped. And as long as I continue to see forward progress, there is no reason to be satisfied with only making it “most of the way”. 

So, for those of you who have joined me on this journey, I ask that you help keep me focused and I will do the same for you. When we can finally answer “are we there, yet?” with" “yes!”, then we can celebrate with a pitcher of Margaritas!

No comments:

Post a Comment