Friday, March 29, 2013

Why Do I Keep Getting Back In the Car?

Sometimes I wonder why it is that I keep getting in the car to continue my road trip. If I haven’t left yet, then I sometimes dread the long road ahead. If I am only a quarter of the way down the road, then I know I’m closer to my destination, but I’ve still got a long way to go. At the half way point, I realize that there really is no reason to turn around now, because I’ve come this far, midas whale keep going! (OK, obscure reference to a duo that was on The Voice this week, sorry!) But then, something magical happens when I’m about 3/4 through the road trip...I realize that I have put many miles behind me and I have spent hours on the road to get where I am and my final destination is right around the bend. Something else happens, too. It seems like the mileage gods are playing tricks on me by making the miles longer as I get closer to the end. Does anyone else feel that way?

So, here I am, at the crossroads, so to speak, where I am thisclose to my destination, but it seems that someone has put a governor on my car and it is taking me twice as long to go the same distance, than earlier in the journey. I understand that the nearer I am to my goal, the slower the weight comes off. After all, as I understand it, the last 25 lbs. are a bear to take off! And that’s where I stand today, at the last leg of the journey that is the most challenging. So why shouldn’t I just stop here— 122 pounds is a pretty good accomplishment, right? Well, yes it is, but I am not a quitter and I set a goal and I am going to get there! I just have to understand that while I may have been able to drive 90 at the beginning of the trip, I am now limited to drive about 30; but that’s OK, I’m still moving forward.

So, why do I keep getting in the car? Because I’m not through with the road trip yet. I know there are a lot of exciting things awaiting my arrival, so I just have to keep going.

No comments:

Post a Comment