Thursday, February 7, 2013

Looking Down the Road


As I have mentioned before, people most often want to know what is different this time for me.  But another popular question I get is “what will you do when you hit your goal?” And the answer is simple…nothing. I’m not looking too far down the road right now, but I do have my final destination in my mind. I can plan for the future, but I can’t live in it.

I don’t know about you, but whenever I take a long road trip, I always learn something (accidental or intentional): where the cheapest gas is, where the cleanest restrooms are, that the Florida FWC doesn't know that there are no such things as “poisonous snakes” (for the record, Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation, the word is venomous!), that SiriusXM is better than trying to find local radio stations in every town, etc. This journey is no different. As long as I continue to learn little tips and tricks along the way, I know that once I reach my final destination, staying the course will be a breeze!

I have made such a sweeping change in how I am living my life, that there is no need to go back to the old way of doing things. Will I allow myself some things that I currently avoid? Yes, if I want them. I have noticed that there are some foods that I would have killed for in the past, but they no longer hold the same appeal for me. Another change for me is that I listen to my body more these days. If I eat something and it doesn't agree with me, there is no need to eat it again (I feel certain that McDonald’s is on this list, although I haven’t tested the theory!) In the past, I would have had that food again and not given it a second thought, no matter how bad (“bad= sick” or “bad= guilty”) I felt.

So, I can ponder what I will do when I hit my final goal, but there really is no need to dwell on it, as this is my lifestyle now. I know that I have been given the tools and the knowledge to continue living a healthier life and I have no fear of going back to the old way of doing things. I may take time to celebrate my accomplishment, but nothing will change…I must keep moving forward. And that is why the answer to the question is “nothing.”

No comments:

Post a Comment